NOVEMBER TREK 2013
Nepal – Everest Base Camp
Trek Report by Satish Shah
Gokyo / Everest Base Camp Kala Pathar
The challenge was to get everyone from Gokyo via Chola Pass 5420m to Loubuche. The pass was covered with snow and was whole day a long walk. Kala Pathar 5550m was the highest point ( and summit) giving excellent views to Mt Everest, Nuptse, Pumori, Lhotse etc. and the weather was clear with sunny days and dry cold nights.
This trek consisted of 14 days of walking and all participants completed it in full:
- Natubhai Faldu (63), Bolton
- Satish Faldu, Bolton
- Raju Shah, Luton
- Ashok Panchal, London
- Suresh Shah (69), Thornton Heath, Surrey
- Shanti Mistry (63), Wembley
- Pretesh Mistry (32), Wembley
- Atish Patel, Pinner – Middlesex (Summited Gokyo Ro 5340m)
Mount Mera Climb (6476m)
Mera was a challenging 13 day walk and climb with fantastic views. We saw five of the six highest mountains close by –
Cho Oyu 8201m, Lhotse 8516m, Everest 8848m, Makula 8463m, and in the east Kangchenjunga 8586m from a distance. We experienced sunny days and very cold nights.
Day 1 to 4: Walk from Lukla 2800m to Kothe 3600m via ice Zatrawa Pass 4600m – this is just slightly less then Mt Kenya.
Day 5 to 7: To Khare 5045m.
Day 8 to 10: Three days on ice/snow with snow boots and crampons.
Day 11 to 13: Again via Zatrawa pass 4600m – climbing similar to Mt Kenya again .
Lots of walking with ups and downs, total height walked was approximately over 10,000m.
- Satish Shah (60), Bradford – Retired around 6280m – cold toes/ finger. 200m from summit.
- Naresh Chauhan, Nottingham – Retired at Advanced Base Camp – 5850m
- Jayant Doshi (74), Stanmore, London – Retired at base camp – 5300m
- Naresh Shah (63), South London – Retired after five days due to illness.
Ekal Vidyalaya School Visit
Eight people were able to attend in this visit:
- Sunday 24th Nov 2013 – Visit to Benighat
- Monday 25th Nov 2013 – VIsit to Panchkhel
- Tuesday 26th Nov 2013 – Reception by HSS and Ekal team, including a guest from India, Shrimati Manju Didi – a retired professor looking to expand Ekal by getting women on board.
Funds raised on this trek were for: THE THREE R’S EDUCATION TRUST
Trek dates confirmed for 7-27 November 2013.
- Trek 1 – Everest Base Trak & Kala Pattar via Gokyo (8 confirmed so far)
- Trek 2 – Mt. Mera Peak 6461m (3 have confirmed so far)
Arrive Kathmandu on 8th November
Flights to Lukla on 9th November.
See downloads for more details.