Sunday 5th July 2015
The weather was fantastic until 5 pm. Then mist and rain came and Esk Pike and Bowfell summit visibility was poor. It is a tough trek with climb of 8,400ft.
FUNDS RAISED: as of 13 July 2015 £3,200 for SEWA UK
12 hrs: five participants completed in this time
14 hrs: seven participants completed in this time
16 hrs: four participants completed in this time
All the participants had a fantastic time. The beauty of the Lakes is unique.
Three walkers took a wrong path coming down Great Gable. They made their way to Scafell but were caught out near the summit. Cold and tired they called Mountain Rescue. They were brought down safely by the rescuers. It is essential to master map reading and use of compass skills.
During this weekend, we will be taking part in the Lake District 10 peak challenge – a step up from the Yorkshire 3 Peaks!
Further information can be found at:
Lake District 10 Peaks
The 10 Peaks is designed to involve fairly strenuous exercise and for your own safety you must be aware of this and consider carefully whether your general level of fitness, or any particular illness or ailment prevents you from participation.
This is a tough challenge that will test your endurance and strength. Set in the stunningly beautiful Lake District you will climb 10 peaks within 12 hours, encountering difficult terrain, lengthy descents and steep ascents along the way. Your mental and physical strength will be tested to the max!
**PAST EXPERIENCE IS NECESSARY**
You should have completed the Yorkshire Three peaks and have experience of climbing Snowdon and or Sacfell Pike and or Ben Nevis. Must be familiar with map reading. There will only be one retirement point coming down from Great Gable .
Why not challenge yourself and a team of colleagues with this exciting 10 Peaks event which provides an excellent platform for both team building and also charity fundraising.
- Start/finish: Gatesgarth – Buttermere / Stool End Farm / Great Langdale
- Target time: 12 Hours
- Leg 1: Gatesgarth Farm – Red Pike 4.5km / 155 mins
- Leg 2: Red Pike – High Stile 1.2km / 29 mins
- Leg 3: High Stile – High Crag 1.5km / 36 mins
- Leg 4: High Crag – Green Gable 6km / 147 mins
- Leg 5: Green Gable – Great Gable 0.8km / 26 mins
- Leg 5: Great Gable – Lingmell 4.2km / 99 mins
- Leg 6: Lingmell – Scafell Pike 1.5km / 50 mins
- Leg 7: Scafell Pike – Great End 1.8km / 43 mins
- Leg 8: Great End – Esk Pike 1.6km / 35 mins
- Leg 9: Esk Pike – Bow Fell 1.6km / 40 mins
- Leg 10: Bow Fell – Stool End Farm 3.5km / 95 mins
Total estimated time: 12 hours 35 mins
This event is a demanding challenge and it should not be underestimated. It requires a high level of physical fitness and thorough preparation training especially for those individuals without prior experience of high level mountain walks. Our experienced guides will be leading the group.
On the weekend
We will arrive in Buttermere just after lunchtime, and will stay the night at Buttermere YHA.
We plan to start the walk early – possibly 5 or 6am, aiming to finish approximately around 7pm, which should allow enough time to return home.
These details will be updated and confirmed soon.
- You will have done previous treks, at a minimum, something similar to Yorkshire 3 Peaks
- Transport availability will depend on numbers and space we are able to secure.
- You will travel and participate at your own risk
- You can arrange your own transport if you wish. This may be sensible if you are a group of 4 or 5.
- You understand that weather conditions could be variable.
- You must be able to read maps and make your own way if necessary
- We are planning a half way retirement place but hope it will not be necessary. Details can be confirmed on the day.
- Our team will be checking the route beforehand
- It will not be a race to the finish line, please walk in groups and aid others if there is a problem
- If necessary, our guides reserve the right to make final decisions on behalf of the group
- Registration fee – £10
- 1 night accommodation – £35
- Fuel share – approx £10
- Food share – approx £5
- There may be some additional car costs for insurance – details to be confirmed soon.
- Expect the approximate total cost for all the above to be between £60-75 per person.
- You can also create your OWN online fundraising page under our team page on ‘MyDonate.’ https://mydonate.bt.com/teams/
- To create your own fundraising page as part of the CTA team:
- Register with MyDonate and look out for ‘Team’.
- Enter the reference number: 133174224.
- All funds will go to SEWA UK (Charity Registration Number: 1135425).
If you have any queries, please get in touch on firstname.lastname@example.org