The UK 3 Peaks 24 hr Challenge
Saturday 6th – Monday 8th July 2013
by Satish Shah
The group began the walk on Sunday at 7.30am sharp, and completed at 6.59am on Monday – a total of 23 hours and 29 minutes.
|Ben Nevis||Scafell Pike||Snowdon||Total Walk Time||24hr Overall Time|
Thanks to Kishor Solanki from Bolton for being an excellent driver and keeping his cool. He played a crucial role.
The trek began with a visit to the Iskon temple near Glasgow where the group did a special pooja.
There were lots of aches and pains, but the weather was excellent, with clear visibility on all three hills.
Ben Nevis start was at 07.30am and was cool. Scafell Pike start was just after 6pm, and the first hour was very hot and tough. Snowdon was the best, as starting at 3.15am meant it was dark and cool. The team managed to get half way up before morning light.
The whole group finished within time and everyone pushed each other along.
Well done to all who took part.
Total climb is app 9000ft/ 2900m – walk distance is approx 21 miles
Option – Long Day
This option allows both Ben Nevis and Scafell Pike to be climbed in daylight, leaving an easy Snowdon path to be climbed at night.
|08.00am||Start Ben Nevis.|
|01.00pm||Finish Ben Nevis|
|01.15pm||Drive to Scafell Pike app 6 hours|
|06.30pm||Arrive and start climbing Scafell Pike|
|10.30pm||Drive to Snowdon app four hour drive|
|03.30am||Arrive and start climbing Snowdon|
|08.00am||Finish Snowdon, and complete challenge.|
For more details visit: http://www.thethreepeakschallenge.co.uk/national-three-peaks-challenge/
- GROUP SIZE: 10
- MINIMUM FUNDS TO RAISE: £250
- Funds raised will go “The Three R`s Charitable Trust“
- COST: app £120 for car share, 1 night bunk bed and some food
Any additional car expenses will be shared
- Administration, registration and training: Satish Shah
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tel res: 01274 541987
- You will need to have a large car
- You will need the service of a dedicated volunteer car driver
- You will need enough walkers who are able to take on this serious and punishing challenge. The Yorkshire 3 peaks is a good training start – 24 miles and 5000ft / 1600m climb